An important part of the Wisconsin SHINE Project is collecting data to find out how well pulse oximetry screening is working. Results of pulse oximetry screening will be collected in a central database called WE-TRAC HEART at the Wisconsin State Lab of Hygiene.
Like hearing screening results, the results of pulse oximetry screening for CCHD will be recorded on the newborn screening blood card. When the blood cards are processed at the Wisconsin State Lab of Hygiene, the CCHD screening results will be entered into WE-TRAC Heart.
In addition to the WE-TRAC Heart database, all babies who are diagnosed with CCHD will become part of the Wisconsin Birth Defects Registry. All babies diagnosed with CCHD, including those diagnosed prenatally, on newborn physical exam, through CCHD Screening, and later clinical presentation up to one year of age will be included in this registry.
Reporting is easy:
- Enter results of screen on newborn screening blood card
- For a failed screen or if there is no newborn screening blood card, call the Wisconsin SHINE Project Hotline to report results.
- Some health care providers attending births outside the hospital may choose to complete the data collection form and send it to the Wisconsin State Lab of Hygiene with the newborn screening blood card.
- Infants with pulmonary disease requiring treatment with oxygen
- Photocopy newborn screening blood card before collecting newborn blood screen
- Mark “not tested” on newborn screening blood card
- When pulmonary disease and need for oxygen resolves, screen infant and record results on photocopy of newborn screening blood card.
- Send photocopy of newborn screening blood card with CCHD screening results to the Wisconsin State Lab of Hygiene
Reasons to call the Wisconsin SHINE Project Hotline:
- Anytime a newborn FAILS the pulse oximetry screen for CCHD
- A baby is born who has known or suspected CCHD
- Baby does not have a newborn blood screening card where pulse oximetry screen results can be recorded
- Any questions about pulse oximetry screening